Day 1: Should have brought the mountain bikes!

Monday, December 24, 2012


Alright! First day of the challenge!

For the first Festive 500 day I decided to try the route along the San Francisco bay.  It is a little more than 30km from Redwood City to the San Francisco airport.

I spent the night studying the Bay Trail on Google maps.  I got it all memorized.  Yes. Cool. I got it.

Met early in the morning with Bret, my cycling sensei who helped me buy the bicycle (actually he chose it, I am glad since I did not know where to start).   Ok Bret we are going all the way to SFO and back.  Let's go!

Turns out the trail is gravel.  One hour later we are not even half way.  Ahem... well you know Google didn't tell me is was not asphalt :P

Google maps didn't say it was gravel :p (*)


On the way back: You see I am still learning to use the clip pedals.  If you want to stop you should unclip first, then lean to that same side.  This time I unclipped the right foot but leaned to the left.  *thump* To the ground.  Another war scar  on my left knee.

I am several km behind, knee hurts.  But hey, I am still doing the challenge!

Later in the evening I am doing loops, earphones on.  I get a phone call on my cellphone, suddenly the music stops and the phone also stops ringing.  I check and see the cellphone has reset itself.  Nooooooo!  The Strava app closed!  When I turned it on again, Strava tells me it had saved the unfinished ride... *sigh* relieved!!!!

(*) Photo by Bret Staz

0 comments:

Post a Comment